Reserve your car



What to do if you loose your UK Passport in Spain

When you are out and about enjoying your holiday in your  all-inclusive car hire at Alicante airport or Mallorca airport you should carry your passport with you for identification purposes but your passport is a valuable document and sadly they do sometimes go missing.

It´s really important that you don´t leave your passport, other important documents or any valuables in your hire car because even though Spain has one of the lowest crime rates in europe, cars do still get broken into. Likewise however people loose their passports and so here is a little information on what to do if you find yourself  without your passport.  It´s always a good idea to have a photocopy as well and keep it in a safe place such as your hotel safe, just to help if you need to get an emergency one later.

Thankfully you won´t be stranded in Spain as you can obtain an emergency travel document form the British Embassy which will allow you to return home.

To be able to get a British emergency travel document you have to meet the following criteria:

  • Be a British national
  • Be outside of the UK
  • Have lost your passport or had it stolen or it has expired (although you should never go on holiday with a passport that it about to expire)
  • You have proof of your travel plans
  • You must have had a British passport (you cannot apply for an emergency one if you have never had a passport)

You can apply for the emergency passport by visiting this link You will have to pay a fee which is currently 100 GBP and the service takes usually between one and two days.

After you fill in the form you will have to attend a meeting at your nearest British Consulate and you will need the following documents with you:

  • An email address that you have access to so that your application can be confirmed after it is submitted online
  • Proof of your travel plans (flight tickets etc)
  • A local Police report if your passport has been stolen or your old passport if you still have it.  If you have lost your passport or had it stolen then a photocopy of the old one is always helpful.
  • Proof of residency if your final destination is outside of the UK
  • A passport sized photograph

Remember that the information in this article is only meant to serve as a guide.  For up to date information and specific advice contact your nearest British Consulate.

British Consulate Mallorca

British Consulate Alicante

Once you have reported your passport lost or stolen and returned home with an emergency travel document you must apply for a new full passport.   Remember that once you report your passport as lost or stolen it will be cancelled and it is an offence to use it should you later find it.

*Information correct at time of publishing and provided by